Nrf2 Signaling in Modulating Pain and Inflammation
Keywords:Autophagy; Macrophage; Nerve growth factor; Nrf2; NSAID; Pain
The nuclear factor E2-related factor 2 (Nrf2) is best known for being the master transcriptional regulator of antioxidant genes. In addition, Nrf2 also regulates anti-inflammatory gene expression. Recent studies have discovered a critical function for Nrf2 signaling in modulating pain as well as in mediating the action of some commonly used non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs (NSAIDs). This Cutting-Edge Research Highlights discusses these latest novel findings and proposes future research directions.
(First online: February 26, 2023)
- Li YR, Jia Z, Zhu H. Regulation of Nrf2 signaling. React Oxyg Species 2019; 8(24):312–22. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.20455/ros.2019.865
- Marone IM, De Logu F, Nassini R, De Carvalho Goncalves M, Benemei S, Ferreira J, et al. TRPA1/NOX in the soma of trigeminal ganglion neurons mediates migraine-related pain of glyceryl trinitrate in mice. Brain 2018; 141(8):2312–28. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/brain/awy177
- De Logu F, Nassini R, Hegron A, Landini L, Jensen DD, Latorre R, et al. Schwann cell endosome CGRP signals elicit periorbital mechanical allodynia in mice. Nat Commun 2022; 13(1):646. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-022-28204-z
- Li J, Tian M, Hua T, Wang H, Yang M, Li W, et al. Combination of autophagy and NFE2L2/NRF2 activation as a treatment approach for neuropathic pain. Autophagy 2021; 17(12):4062–82. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15548627.2021.1900498
- Tanaka T, Okuda H, Isonishi A, Terada Y, Kitabatake M, Shinjo T, et al. Dermal macrophages set pain sensitivity by modulating the amount of tissue NGF through an SNX25-Nrf2 pathway. Nat Immunol 2023. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41590-022-01418-5
- Eisenstein A, Hilliard BK, Pope SD, Zhang C, Taskar P, Waizman DA, et al. Activation of the transcription factor NRF2 mediates the anti-inflammatory properties of a subset of over-the-counter and prescription NSAIDs. Immunity 2022; 55(6):1082–95 e5. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.immuni.2022.04.015
- Weng JH, Koch PD, Luan HH, Tu HC, Shimada K, Ngan I, et al. Colchicine acts selectively in the liver to induce hepatokines that inhibit myeloid cell activation. Nat Metab 2021; 3(4):513–22. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s42255-021-00366-y
- Wang D, Day EA, Townsend LK, Djordjevic D, Jorgensen SB, Steinberg GR. GDF15: emerging biology and therapeutic applications for obesity and cardiometabolic disease. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2021; 17(10):592–607. doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41574-021-00529-7
How to Cite
Submission of an original manuscript to the Journal will be taken to mean that it represents original work not previously published; that it is not being considered elsewhere for publication; that the author(s) agrees to assign copyright to the Journal upon acceptance for publication in the Journal, and if accepted for publication, it will be published in the digital format (PDF) and/or in print and it will not be published elsewhere in the same form, for commercial purposes, in any language, without the consent of the Publisher.